Monday, February 2, 2009

meat grinders and custom sausages

i am so inspired by the gentlemen at wurstkuche (http://www.wurstkucherestaurant.com), a new belgium beer and sausage restaurant in the downtown la arts district. although they don't make their own sausages, they have offer a really great variety, including veal/rabbit/white wine and alligator/hickory-smoked pork and lots of tasty brews and sodas. pretty neat to see young locals experimenting with meats.

makes me want to invest in one of these:


(image source http://www.surlatable.com)
super classy kitchenaid meat grinder attachment! i love my kitchenaid and use it often, but don't think i've ever consumed something i've made in it. i wonder if you can attach a pork casing to the end for sausage making? hm, what would i make first? maybe something with lamb... how about a custom sausage station for a restaurant idea? put your meats, seasonings, and veggies or cheeses in a dish, bring it to the meat grinder, and then grill them up?

3 comments:

  1. probably good for those friends you don't like anymore too

    ReplyDelete
  2. those sausages tend to be bitter and get stuck in you teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I want to make sausages too! I just watched Alton Brown's episode on making sausages and he made me want that very same attachment.

    By the way, I'm looking for a lady butcher to help me with my raising-my-own-meat-birds dilemma. Know anyone?

    ReplyDelete