Monday, April 20, 2009

the dos and don'ts of chicken-roasting

For unknown reasons, I've never cooked a whole chicken. I thought since I'm trying to cook through my more intimidating meats, I should give it a shot. I found a nice looking one for a good price yesterday, so the time has come.
Didn't realize it would be 96-degrees out today, but I'm not one to back down from a challenge just because of a little bit of steaminess. So, I shoved a lemon, a few cloves of garlic, and a handful of herbs up the chicken's butt, coated him in olive oil, salt, and pepper and shoved him in the oven.
And, tah dah! Not so bad.



Tasted pretty excellent, too. Super tender and flavorful but not too heavy for such a hot day.
But here comes the problem. I had no idea how to carve it!
Gosh, what kind of aspiring meat artist am I? We gave up and tore into it, forks and fingers flying.



So. Here's the proper way to carve said bird.
How to carve turkey and chicken - two ways.
Next time, I will serve up lovely slices of chicken breast and perfect little drumsticks. Just you wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I needed that. We never carve the bird correctly.

    ReplyDelete