Thursday, October 15, 2009

things i love thursdays!

This week has been somewhat "meat lite" for two reasons-- an unexplained shortage of my favorite 365 brand nitrate-free bacon at Whole Foods and a new found focus on writing about my recreational meat activities! I'm so glad Pat Saperstein from eatingla posted about this UCLA writing workshop, taught by Patric Kuh, food critic for Los Angeles Magazine. Thankfully, the man was very supportive of my impulsive decision to sign up. So far, it has been super fun and inspiring.

I do have a few things to share.

First, I would like to give thanks to the artisan butchers of America. I know that all is not sunshine and happy cows in the meat industry here, but at least I can feel pretty sure that the USDA has some regulations on things like this.
Fiji meat man. Now, I've never been to Fiji so I don't want to judge. I thought their cuisine was primarily made up of fish and seafood? On second thought, maybe that explains their excitement for the pig heads and sausages.

Next, let's talk about some bizarre livestock breedings. Have you seen the tiny potbelly pigs?

(source)

Kind of cute, in an alien sort of way. Apparently they are the hot new celebrity pet. Paris Hilton ordered one this week, just to tick off those pesky PETA people. They're supposed to be cleaner and more intelligent than dogs (Paris better watch out-- wouldn't want her to be outsmarted), but I can't imagine carrying them around in a designer pet carrier. Would it be inappropriate to mention the possibilities of bacon sliders?

They've been messing with cows, too. This is a Piedmontese cow:

(source)
This oddly sad looking creature is the result of a breeding phenomenon that began with an Italian cow that has "double muscling." What does that mean, you ask? Well. According to earthy.com, "this low fat beef is...lower in calories, higher in protein and contains a higher percentage of desirable Omega 3 Fatty Acids..beef from both full-blooded Piedmontese and Piedmontese-cross cattle consistently has these qualities of leanness and tenderness because it is due to their unique genetic makeup rather than an effect resulting from their feeding or environment." The article also mentioned that these cows were bred specially to retain their positive traits and remove the negative. I'm a bit unclear of what the negative traits were, but since they're mostly bred in Michigan, perhaps I'll ask my parents to look into it. They might want to pick up a few. Might be nice to have some cows to visit next time I make the trip to the homeland.


That's all for this week! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment