Monday, September 14, 2009

zingerman's + bacon, or, another reason to miss michigan in the fall.

Came across this post on Serious Eats this morning and was immediately nostalgic. When I was growing up, my dad worked in Ann Arbor, Michigan. His job involved lots of driving, so he happened upon all sorts of amazing spots before they were discovered by most... Antique stores, ethnic restaurants, music shops. And whatever creative tangent I found myself on, he would scavenge up supplies for me. He constructed photography darkrooms, bargained for vintage guitars, rebuildt garbage-picked lamps.. I can't imagine the possibilities had I began my meat pursuits while still living near him in Michigan!

That said, Zingerman's was, of course, a staple (splurge!) restaurant of my childhood. I remember their giant cookies, tasting aged balsamic with plastic straws, and splitting chicken salad sandwiches on dried fruit bread with my mom. They have since become quite an empire and have released several foodie books, including Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating and Zingerman's Guide to Giving Great Service. Their newest release really grabbed my attention.


Zingerman's Guide to Better Bacon

I don't have any bacon-specific memories of Zingerman's, but I think some will have to be made during my next visit to the homeland.

4 comments:

  1. wow, i am so much inspired by you . its great that you are in this vocation previously considered a mans domain.i an really impressed.cheers and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. from the "small world" file... i WORKED the backline in the sandwich section of Zingerman's back in the mid-90's during about 3 years that my ex and i lived in ann arbor while she was getting a masters degree... despite all of the higher-powered positions i have held since, i will always look back on my time at that place with fondness. had great times there and made great friends. also, i can say from experience that they practice what they preach. a well-sourced and responsible purveyor of food back when it wasn't so hip...

    still have my old employee's manual somewhere... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herby, you worked at Zingerman's?! How cool is that!! Very small-worldish. Perhaps you made one of the sandwiches that I remember so fondly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is pretty awesome. I am also Michigan native living in a strange land (LA) and living a meaty life. Just went to Zingerman's a couple weeks ago, though and it was pretty awesome. Check out my blog at http://unvegan.com, it's pretty entertaining. Meanwhile, I'm adding you to my blogroll and it would be sweet if you wanted to do the same.

    ReplyDelete